Du Yun, Angel's Bone, PROTOTYPE 2014
PROTOTYPE: Opera/Theatre/Now, now celebrating its seventh season, is an annual festival of visionary opera-theatre and music-theatre works by pioneering contemporary artists from New York City and around the world. The festival is the only one of its kind in the United States – presenting fully produced premieres, national and international presentations, and work-in-progress showings of original genre-bending works by both emerging and career artists from the contemporary classical opera-theatre and music-theatre idiom. Learn more about PROTOTYPE at prototypefestival.org. PROTOTYPE 2019 returns January 5 – 13, 2019.
Reporting to PROTOTYPE’s co-founders and directors – Beth Morrison, Creative Producer of Beth Morrison Projects; Kristin Marting, Founding Artistic Director of HERE; Kim Whitener, Executive Director of HERE; and Jecca Barry, Executive Director of Beth Morrison Projects – the Production Manager shall:
· Serve as the key technical liaison among PROTOTYPE, its designers, and its venues.
· Participate in all production meetings; oversee the construction of scenery and props as needed; determine backline rental needs for projection, lighting, scenery, instrumentation, etc. in conjunction with production designers and venue production managers; assist scenic, costume, and lighting designers with the execution and realization of their designs as needed.
· Plan and execute the load in and load out of all PROTO projects, as well as any developmental workshop or technical rehearsal needs. S/he will be responsible for determining the necessary crew staffing and their duties for all workshops, rehearsals, and productions; and will oversee technical rehearsals.
· Liaison with and oversee the show-specific production managers and the BMP and HERE production management/technical teams.
· Work with the Festival Producer and Associate Producer to administer tasks for an abundant internship program as they relate to the technical and production needs of the Festival.
Minimum 3-5 years of Production Management experience in the Performing Arts
Knowledge of the New York City cultural community
Genuine desire to play a critical role on a small and dynamic team
Ability to juggle multiple tasks and reprioritize within a rapidly changing environment
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both individually and as part of a team
Excellent oral and written communication skills and highly detail-oriented
Fluency in VectorWorks and AutoCAD software a plus
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree a plus; or significant comparable experience in theatrical production
The position requires consultation work in late spring with production advance work through the summer and fall. Hours and work load intensify from November-January. There are vacation moratoriums for this position between December 1-23 and January 2-20.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Production Manager.” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.”
PROTOTYPE seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of the city in which we live. All positions at PROTOTYPE are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.